Maine Lobster and Filet Mignon with Bearnaise Sauce, Poached Asparagus, and Loaded Jacket Potato
Servings: 8 | Time: 1 hour 30 minutes includes chilling
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Rinse and dry potatoes. Use fork to pierce multiple holes on all sides. Bake on oven rack 40 to 60 minutes or until tender.
- For tarragon vinegar, in small bowl, combine vinegar, shallots and tarragon. Let stand 1 hour.
- In small saucepan, bring tarragon vinegar to simmer; cook until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Melt 3/4 cup of the butter. Let vinegar and butter cool 2 minutes.
- Strain vinegar mixture; add to blender. While running on low, drop in egg yolks one at a time. Pour in warm butter in a thin steady stream. Increase speed, blending until well combined. Season to taste with salt.
- In 20-qt. or larger kettle, bring 8 qt water and 1/2 cup salt to boiling. Grasp lobsters just behind head; rinse under cold running water. Quickly put four lobsters headfirst into boiling water. Cover; return to boiling. Boil 15 minutes, adjusting heat as necessary to maintain steady boil. Remove lobsters from pot; remove any bands on large claws. Drain in sink on drying rack, head side down. Cook remaining four lobsters. Add them to drying rack.
- Preheat grill to medium. Remove steaks from refrigerator; bring to room temperature. Lightly coat each steak on both sides with salt. Coat each steak with nonstick spray. Place steaks on grill rack directly over heat. Cover; grill 15 to 19 minutes for medium rare (145°F), turning once halfway through grilling.
- Cut asparagus in 6-inch lengths. Peel bottom 1-inch of each stalk. Fill large saucepan 3/4 full of water. Bring to simmer; add 1 tablespoon salt. Add asparagus; simmer 3 to 5 minutes until crisp-tender.
- When cool enough to handle, place each lobster on its back. Separate lobster tail from body. Cut through tail membrane to expose meat. Remove and discard black vein running through tail. Remove meat from tail. Twist large claws away from body. Using nutcracker, break open claws. Remove meat from claws. Crack shell on remaining part of body; remove meat with small fork. Discard green tomalley (liver) and coral roe (found in female lobsters).
- Melt remaining 1 cup butter. Split each potato down the middle and load on crème frîache and caviar. Serve lobster meat with melted butter, steak, Bearnaise sauce, loaded potatoes, asparagus, and lemon wedges. Garnish with additional fresh tarragon.
8 small Russet potatoes
1/2 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoons minced shallot
2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
1 3/4 cups Plugra butter
4 pasteurized egg yolks
8 1-pound Maine lobsters
1/2 cup coarse kosher salt or salt
8 4-ounce beef tenderloin steak (filet mignon)
Nonstick cooking spray
2 pounds large asparagus spears
1 8-ounce container Crème Frîache
1 1-ounce jar black caviar