Crab, Shrimp and Roasted Corn Cakes with a Basil Aioli Sauce
Servings: 8 | Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
- Thaw corn, if frozen. In large skillet cook corn and shallots in butter 4 minutes over medium or until corn and shallots are tender. If using fresh corn, increase heat to high. Cook, without stirring, one minute more or until lightly browned. Transfer corn mixture to large bowl; let cool completely (about 30 minutes). Wipe out skillet; aside. (You will use it later.)
- Meanwhile prepare breadcrumbs. In shallow bowl combine breadcrumbs, paprika, parsley and salt; set aside.
- Lightly beat 1 egg. Add beaten egg, 1/4 cup of crumb mixture, crab meat, shrimp, 1/4 cup mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, 1/8 tsp salt and pepper to cooled corn mixture. Mix; form mixture into 8 equal balls.
- Beat remaining 2 eggs in shallow dish. Dip each crab ball into egg mixture, then into crumb mixture to coat. Place on tray; gently flatten to form 3-inch patties. Cover; refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 6 hours.
- In the large skillet add 2 Tablespoons oil to coat bottom. Heat oil over medium heat. Cook crab cakes, half at a time, 3 to 4 minutes on each side until golden brown and heated through. Drain on paper towels. Serve with Basil Aioli. Garnish with additional fresh basil, if desired.
Basil Aioli Sauce:
- In blender combine 1 cup basil leaves, 1/2 cup mayonnaise, and lemon juice. Cover; blend until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Crab, Shrimp and Roasted Corn Cakes:
1 cup fresh sweet corn on the cob, cut off the cobs or frozen roasted corn
1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 cups plain soft breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon dried parsley
2 teaspoons paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups canned refrigerated lump crabmeat (12 ounces)
5 to 6 ounces peeled and deveined cooked shrimp, finely chopped (1 cup)
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup vegetable oil
Fresh basil leaves, optional
1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons lemon juice