The Oklahoman a chicken fried steak sandwich
Last year I decided to enter the Wisconsin grilled cheese contest and even though I didn’t win I loved my entry and now that the 2016 contest is under way (can’t wait to share this years entry it’s amazing!!!) I am finally able to share last years entry.
This delicious chicken fried steak sandwich was a blast to create. It’s loaded with pickles, chicken fried steak, pepper jack and gouda cheese. It’s delicious and reminds me of the dive restaurants in Oklahoma that I use to go to as a teenager.
*Directions for the fried steak
- Cut the steaks into two pieces that are similar size as the bread.
- Add the flour and paprika to a plate.
- Then use a fork and mix the flour and paprika together well.
- Next dip the steaks into the lightly beaten egg.
- Then coat the steaks with the flour mixture.
- Next add the steaks back to the egg mixture and coat the steaks in the flour mixture again.
- Heat the oil to a medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the steaks into the oil one at a time (unless you have a large enough sauté pan or fryer to handle both steaks at the same time) into the oil.
- Fry each steak for 2 minutes each side or until both sides are golden brown.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on the finished fried steaks.
- Set aside. Until you’re ready to make The Oklahoma grilled cheese.
Directions for The Oklahoman grilled cheese
- Hand cut 4 slices of 1” pieces of French bread.
- In a large skillet add 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Once the butter is melted and hot add 2 slices of the bread (be sure to place the inside of the bread down first).
- Cook the bread for 2-3 minutes on high and then flip, but right after you flip add two more tablespoons of butter.
- When the bread is flipped, add 2 slices of gouda to one of the pieces of bread, top the gouda with the chicken fried steak, then top the steak with pepper jack cheese, then top the pepper jack with pickles and add the remaining piece of cooked bread to the top.
- Cook the grilled cheese for 3 minutes each side.
- Repeat for the second sandwich.
Thanks for stopping by and if you are interested in some great sides check out my onion rings and fried zucchini recipe, or mashed red potatoes or Oklahoma homestyle green beans.
What’s your favorite dish to make on the weekend?
- Ingredients for the chicken fried steak
- 1 pound of beef round sirloin, lightly pounded and cut into 4 steaks
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoon paprika powder
- 1-cup of AP flour
- 1- cup of canola oil
- Salt and pepper
Ingredients for The Oklahoman sandwich
- 2 pieces of chicken fried steak*
- 4 slices of French bread
- 4 slices of pepper jack cheese
- 4 slices of gouda cheese
- 2 dill pickles, sliced on a bias
- 8 tablespoons of unsalted butter