Egg Roll with spicy mustard
There are a few times in my cooking life where I surprise myself about a dish I made and who would have known egg rolls would be on the top of that list. Egg rolls, now after making them now fall into the category of ridiculously easy and wonderful.
As always I strive to make recipes taste exactly like what you would hope they taste like. I try and keep my recipes tasty yet simple. So these egg rolls have a crunchy exterior are soft in the middle with a mild pork and vegetable filling.
Why did I include them in the vegetarian (ovo-vegetarian) section? The pork can easily be left out.
- In a sauce pan add the 1/2 tablespoon of oil and then add the pork to the oil.
- Cook the pork for 4-5 minutes or until it’s brown.
- Then season the pork with salt, pepper, garlic powder and ginger and mix together.
- Add the cabbage, carrots and green onion.
- Mix everything together and add the water and cook everything until the water has evaporated.
- When the veggies are soft but not over cooked remove them from the pan and place them into a small mixing bowl.
- Set aside until you’re ready to fry the egg rolls.
- If you remove all of the wrappers from the package (I always make a slit on one side of the bag and remove them as I need them) cover them with a damp paper towel to prevent them from drying out.
- Lay one wrapper down and add the filling to the middle and fold the ends in and proceed to roll like a burrito.
- Gloss the edge of the wrapper with the egg wash and continue to roll.
- Press the end into the egg roll and continue until you’ve finished all 6-8 (6 for fatter egg rolls and 8 for thinner egg rolls).
- Heat the oil in a deep sauce pan or a large pot until it’s around 320 degrees. Fry the egg rolls for 4-6 minutes browning the egg roll on all sides.
- Remove the egg rolls from the oil and lay them on a paper towel to absorb the extra oil.
- Spicy mustard sauce: 2 tablespoons dijon mustard and 2 teaspoons sriracha sauce.
- Mix together.
What is your favorite asian cuisine to make? We want to know.
- 1/2 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 cup pork tenderloin, minced or ground pork
- 1 1/2 cups green cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 cup carrot, thin strips
- 1/4 cup green onion, thin strips
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 3/4 cup water
- 6-8 egg roll wrappers
- 1 egg beaten
- Canola or vegetable oil for frying
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha sauce