Beet and Goat Cheese Salad
Los Angeles, Ca, -Beets are delicious any time but they are especially good during the summer months. Especially golden beets, which come into season in the summer. If you’re not a beet lover start with the yellow beet and try this delicious salad.Directions:
Things to know about beets.
- Beets come in a variety of colors; yellow, red, red and white striped, yellow and orange.
- Beets come in a variety of sizes; small, medium, large and baby.
- Avoid beets with long roots, as they can be woody in texture.
- Red beets bleed and can dye anything it touches, including hands, cutting boards and other beets that it touches.
- Protect your hands from beet juice by wearing gloves while you remove the skin.
- Beet skin is easier to remove when the beet is cold.
- Beet skin can be easily removed after it’s cooked through.
- You can use beet juice as a dye and to add a hint of beet flavor to many foods like goat cheese, rice and even fresh pasta.
- Beet greens are delicious in salads.
- Beets can be roasted or braised.
- Beets can help relieve headaches.
- Salt can discolor beets if added during cooking.
[wpurp-searchable-recipe]Beet and Goat Cheese Salad – – Mixed baby greens (Pick your favorite or try spicy blend for extra flavor.), beets (Try golden yellows for a subtler flavor), goat cheese, toasted walnuts (Either buy pre toasted or toast them yourself.), Balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, thyme leaves (fresh), canola oil, olive oil, Kosher salt and cracked pepper to taste, First cut off the top and the bottom of the beets, then place them into aluminum foil with a little salt, olive oil and water. Shut the package tightly. Next roast the beets in a 350-degree oven for an hour. They should be very soft to the touch. After they cool, use your fingers to gently remove the skin by peeling it. Then use a sharp knife and cut them into circles or wedges.
Walnuts: Bake the nuts in a 300 degree oven for 10 minutes rotating the nuts at the five minute mark (watch closely to prevent them from burning).
; In a small bowl mix the balsamic vinegar with the Dijon mustard to create a thick base and then add the oil slowly while mixing to create an emulsion. Next season the mixture with a few thyme leaves and season with salt and pepper.
; Toss the lettuce together with the dressing, beets, walnuts, salt and pepper and dressing.; Plate the salad and add the goat cheese last (the beets can dye the goat cheese if it is tossed with it). Garnish the salad with fresh cracked pepper.; – (recipe) – Lunch – Salad – Sides – American – beets – cooking – how to cook beets – prepare – recipe – recipes – salads – summer – summer salads – things to know about[/wpurp-searchable-recipe]